First, let us understand what an FTP Account means. FTP or File Transfer Protocol is a type of user account that is used to manage and upload files on your website. FTP accounts are important as they allow you to give different users, different levels of access.
This way, you can create FTP accounts for specific users who can have access to only specific folders/files.
Watch the video below to know more,
How you can create an FTP account.
- Start by logging in to your Bluehost Panel. From the menu click the ‘Advanced’ option. This will take you to your cPanel. Here, under the ‘Files’ section, click on the ‘FTP accounts’ option.
- This will take us to the FTP Accounts page. Here insert the required information like.
‘Username’ and from the ‘Domain’ drop-down select the domain name you want to create this account for. Next, type in the password or use the ‘Password Generator’
- What comes next is the ‘DIrectory’ field. This will determine the level of access for the user. So select ‘public_.html/’ and add the directory name you want the user to have access to after this.
- Next, you will need to set the quota. The quota is the maximum bandwidth the FTP user may use.
- Finally, click on ‘Create FTP Account’ and with that, you will have created your FTP account.
How to access your FTP account using Filezilla
FileZilla is an open-source FTP solution, which allows you to access your FTP accounts. FileZilla not only supports FTP but also FTP over TLS (FTPS) and SFTP
So let us see how you can use FileZilla to access your FTP accounts
- 1.Open the FileZilla(Client) app. You will see four empty fields at the top
- For the Host field – you need to type in your hosting IP address. You can get this information by logging on to your Bluehost panel. In the menu click on ‘Advanced’. This gets you to your cPanel. Under ‘General Information’, you will find your IP address.
- Once you have typed in your host, next you have to provide your username. Type in the Username for the FTP account you want to access
- Type in the password and the port. The port to access an FTP account is 21
- Next, click on ‘Quick Connect’. This will open a pop-up, check the ‘Always Trust Certificate in future sessions’ option and click on ‘OK’. Wait for a few seconds for the files to be populated. And with that, you can start managing your website files. You can drag and drop any files that you want to transfer from your Localhost to your website.
And that’s it! With these steps, you have successfully understood how to create an FTP account and how to access it.