In this tutorial on how to set up a remote database connection, we talk about using a MySQL client. If you intend to connect from your home computer, you will need a MySQL client like Navicat, phpMyAdmin, Workbench or Dreamweaver. If you are wondering about how to access MySQL database, you should know that you will need the name of the server, the host name, the username, and the password for the database.
What Configuration Settings Are Needed?
The following configuration settings are required for setting up a remote MySQL access connection to your database:
Host name = (use the server IP address)
Database name = (cpanelUsername_databaseName)
Database username = (cpanelUsername_databaseUsername)
Database password = (the password you entered for that database user)
MySQL Connection Port = 3306
You can use TCP or UDP
How to Allow a Remote Server to Access Your Database?
Before you check how to connect to MySQL from a different computer, you need to enable the connecting computer as an Access Host.
Here are the steps to do so:
- Log into the cPanel and click on the Remote MySQL icon available under the Databases segment.
- Type in the connecting IP address and click on the Add Host button. You can find and add your IP address directly from this tool. Look for your IP and click on the Add link to input it into the field box.
- Now that your IP address has been added, you will be able to connect MySQL remotely to your database.
How to Remove access to a Remote Server for Accessing Your Database?
If you wish to remove a host from accessing the databases on your server, you need to take the following steps:
- Click on the X icon next to the IP address.
- Click on Yes to confirm that you wish to prevent the server from accessing your remote databases.
What Does Having a Dynamic IP Address Mean?
Having a dynamic IP address means that the connecting IP addresses can change from time to time, depending on the Internet Service Provider or ISP. You must update the connecting IP in Remote MySQL every time it changes.
Managing Your Databases
To ensure that you are able to make the proper remote MySQL connection with the database’s name and user found in the cPanel’s MySQL Databases page, use the correct username. The username that you are using to access MySQLl database remotely should match the username created in the ‘MySQL Database” section of your cPanel. It is a good idea to check out the most common MySQL errors.
Also, you will need to use a third-party application to allow MySQL remote connection. While some applications are free, others need to be bought. For a list of applications, you may visit our page on managing your database with applications.