SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. This application is used to send and receive outgoing mails between senders and receivers.
- By default, PHP mail function is used by WordPress to send emails. However, it is advisable to use SMTP as it improves the delivery rate of your emails and ensures that they don’t get blocked or end up in the spam folder.
How do you configure your WordPress website to send emails using SMTP plugin?
- You can configure the SMTP server on your website by using a WordPress SMTP plugin known as WP SMTP plugin. It is free and easy to install. The WP SMTP plugin is the best solution for WordPress as it is an all in one plugin and works across different SMTP providers. Below are some of the WP SMTP plugins which can be installed.
- WP Mail SMTP by WPForms – This is a very popular plugin active on over a million websites. You can easily connect to any SMTP server by entering its details. You can also send a test email to confirm if your configuration is working properly.
- Gmail SMTP – This plugin helps you to connect to a specific SMTP server – Gmail if you want to use Gmail to send your emails. Unlike other plugins, it uses OAuth 2.0 for authorization. This is more secure but you will have to perform additional set up tasks in Google developers console to use it. Once you have registered your app in the console, you go to settings – Gmail SMTP and enter the API keys to enable the plugin.
- Easy WP SMTP – This is a very popular and 100% free plugin. It enables you to connect your WordPress site to your SMTP server of choice. Once you install and activate the plugin, go to settings – Easy WP SMTP to enter the details of your SMTP server. This plugin also has a tool that you can use to send test emails to confirm the configuration.
- SMTP Mailer – This is also a popular plugin and very similar to the Easy WP SMTP plugin. The interface is very simple and can be used to connect to any SMTP server. Once you activate the plugin, go to settings – SMTP Mailer to enter the details and you are good to go. Again, this has a tool to send test emails.
Information required for SMTP settings?
- From Email – This is the email address from which all the emails from your WordPress site will be sent. Once you have connected your Gmail account or any other account, you can select the email address you would like to use from a dropdown list.
- From Name – This name will be associated with the emails that go out from your website. By default, your website’s name will be set to this, but you can change it to any name you like.
- Mailer – PHP is selected by default. Select Gmail if you want to configure the Gmail Mailer.
Information required for Gmail SMTP settings?
- Authorized Redirect URI: You will have to copy this URL into your web application.
- Client ID: This is the client ID of your web application.
- Client secret: This is the client secret of your web application.
- OAuth Email Address: This is the email address that you will use for SMTP authentication and it should be the same email used in the Google Developers Console.
- From Email Address: Email Address used when sending an email.
- From Name: Name used when sending an email.
- Type of Encryption: This is the encryption that will be used when sending an email (TLS/SSL. TLS is recommended).
- SMTP Port: This port will be used when sending an email. It should be set to 587 if you are using TLS and 465 for SSL.
For more information, please click here
To buy Bluehost WordPress hosting, please click here